Monday, September 22, 2008

Day from You-Know-What (Upper GI x-ray)

UGH!!! Where to begin? At least I got EVERYTHING ready last night and yesterday down to a waterbottle and bagel. My internal clock woke me up at 6:10 AM instead of 6:30. We got to my mom's house (after a feeding, etc) and he had a quick 10 minute top off. We went down to Primary Children's Medical Center (HUGE children's hospital in the West). It was POURING and my windshield wipers don't work...yeah needed to get those changed for 4 months+ now... Anyways getting there was great, we were right behind the traffic so it wasn't too bad getting around in SLC. ANYWAYS we got there early and everyone was super nice (although this sounds grouchy I was in a really good mood). They got us back early and got everything prepped. Ever wonder what they do? I'll tell ya! You know an x-ray table? They put him on one of those w/a towel under him...at first I thought for his comfort. The room was painted w/Sesame Street characters and he LOVED it! There was a TV that we could watch and we stood right by him the whole time. They started prepping the Barium (DH will KILL me if I spelled it wrong but whatever)-they added a fruit punch flavoring. I explained he doesn't take bottles and they told me the 3 things they try to get the stuff in him. 1. A bottle that they have cut an extra large hole in so it flows in them faster. 2. A HUGE syringe (I'm talking WAY big around-probably holds about 2-3 oz!). 3. Nasal tube. I cringed. They then put a towel between his legs and used an ace bandage to bind him up-he didn't mind...kept giggling lol! They were impressed. The Dr came in and introduced himself and everything and we stood in his eyesight while he started w/a bottle on his back so they could watch how he swallowed and what not. He did ok at first but they they had to put him on his side w/his arms up around his head...he SCREAMED! I started the mommy calming "It's ok!" He got REALLY upset and they kept flipping him back and forth between his back and side. He was screaming bloody murder and then...yup you guessed it! PUKED IT ALL BACK UP--ALL OF IT! The doctor asked if he'd take it from me so they draped me in a towel so my clothes weren't dyed hot pink. So I tried giving him a bottle and felt horrible looking at his sad teary face. He didn't take much and then they tried again laying him down. They had to put a nasal tube down him. The way he screamed made me start bawling. My mom had to hold me. It still brings tears to my eyes. They were super nice and explained they weren't hurting him and I said "I know! I just hate hearing my baby cry". My mom explained to them that he never is allowed to cry and is a wonderful baby :). Well they filled up his belly w/the gunk. The doctor could obviously see reflux and said it wasn't the worse he's seen but he's seen better also. So he was going to reviewand get the results to the doctor. I'm hoping to find out tomorrow... We got him dressed and stuff fearing the whole time he'd puke everything up but he never did. He did some of it but OH MY GOSH his first poop was SERIOUSLY the consistancy of chalk just barely dissolved in water! We're sticking around home tomorrow because between the poop and spit up we went through 4 outfits (so far) today. He's been pretty happy but is gassy and his tummy bugs him off and on.

No comments: